

BAKERSFIELD COLLEGE STUDENT GOVERNMENT ASSOCIATION

1801 Panorama Drive, Campus Center, Room 4 | Bakersfield, California 93305

DEPARTMENT OF STUDENT ORGANIZATIONS

Thursday, Sept. 22nd, 2016

5:00 p.m.- 6:00 p.m.

Collins Conference Center

1. CALL MEETING TO ORDER

The meeting was called to order by the chair, Director Smith, at 5:04 p.m.

2. ROLL CALL*

A majority quorum must be established to hold a bonafide meeting

The following members were present: Director Smith, Senator Salcido, Senator Montero Garcia, Manager Cervantes, and Student at Large Mireles.

The following members were absent: None

The following members were excused: None

5/5 members are present, quorum has been established, and a bonafide meeting can be held.

3. AMENDMENTS TO THE AGENDA

The Senate will consider any amendments to the agenda.

Senator Salcido: Under item (4a), the date for the corrections of the minutes should be changed to, "9/1/16." There are the minutes that we have available to us today.

4. CORRECTIONS TO THE MINUTES

The Senate will discuss and correct minutes from previous meetings.

- a. The Senate will consider the approval of unapproved minutes from the meeting held on 9/1/16.
M.E.C.H.A Club: Item (6c), Senator Montero Garcia's primary last name is misspelled.
Item (5d), Danyel Owens last name is misspelled as well. Under Director Garcia, it reads, "bringning lights." I believe it is meant to say, "Bringing lights."

5. PUBLIC COMMENT*

This segment of the meeting is reserved for persons desiring to address the Senate on any matter of concern that is not stated on the agenda. A time limit of three (3) minutes per speaker and fifteen (15) minutes per topic shall be observed. The law does not permit any action to be taken, nor extended discussion of any items not on the agenda. The Senate may briefly respond to statements made or questions posed, however, for further information, please contact the BCSGA Vice President for the item of discussion to be placed on a future agenda. (Brown Act §54954.3)

Senator Cortez: The Delano campus would like to get some students from there campus to come up here and help out with the Halloween Ball.

Secretary Rodriguez: An email will be sent to everyone in the association regarding times that a Secretary is available to be at your meetings. Officers, check your emails.

6. INDIVIDUAL REPORTS

The Chair shall recognize any officer of the Association, including the BCSGA Advisor, to offer a report on official activities since the previous meeting and make any summary announcements deemed necessary for no longer than five minutes.

- a. *Director Dontae Smith*
Tomorrow we will be having someone from a balloon company come to campus to observe the space in which the Halloween Ball will take place. Hopefully we will be able to get a quote from them. We look forward to hearing more about that.
- b. *Senator, Lawrence Salcido*
No report.
- c. *Senator, Monetro-Garcia*
No report.
- d. *Student at Large Mireles*
No report.

Notes:

Unless otherwise marked by an asterisk, all agenzized items are action items upon which the Senate may take action. Action items may be taken out of the order to be presented at the discretion of the Chair. BCSGA supports providing equal access to all programs for people with disabilities. Reasonable efforts will be made to provide accommodations to people with disabilities attending the meeting. Please call the Office of Student Life at (661) 395-4614 as soon as possible to arrange for appropriate accommodation.

Agendas are posted 72 hours before the meetings commences in accordance with the Ralph M. Brown Act.

Agendas are posted at the BCSGA bulletin board located in the Bakersfield College Campus Center and online at www.bakersfieldcollege.edu/bcsga

If you would like a copy of any of the agenda items listed, please contact Office of Student Life at 661-395-4614 or studentlife@bakersfieldcollege.edu.



- e. Advisor, Maria Wright
No report.
- f. Advisor, Danyel Owens
No report.

7. UNFINISHED BUSINESS

Items listed have already been discussed once and thus are considered for approval by the Senate

a. Brainstorm session

Discussion:

Director Smith: The theme for the ball is a Victorian Masquerade. The main colors will be red, grey, black, maroon, purple and acid green. The color orange has been scratched from this event. If you have any ideas, please let me know.

Manager Cervantes: The Fit Mind Body Club was thinking about having an activity where people try to guess what is inside a box. Nothing dangerous would be in there. Just something fun and spooky, items of different sized and textures. If we go through your department [SGA] could we get the necessary resources through funding?

Senator Salcido: for clubs they need approval through BCSGA, so long as they are able to man their own table. As for funding, if you apply for a SOF Grant through category 2, you could get the necessary funds to do your tabling event, ICC would have to approve; this goes for all clubs who need funding.

Senator Cortez: what is the theme of the event?

Director Garcia: we are following a Disney theme, but since there are copyright issues, we aren't going to outright say it is Disney themed, but it is implied. Also, to ensure we do not run out of time like last meeting, I will be allowing a 1 ½ minutes to each speaker to make sure we can get through this meeting. We'll be moving on now, but all additional notes will be taken at the end of today's meeting and will be discussed further next meeting.

b. Set up overview

Discussion:

Senator Salcido: As of right now, we plan to have a portion of the Panorama Grill will be walled off for the haunted house and the rest of the cafeteria will be set up as an eating area for attendees, outside in the CC the clubs will have their booths set up for children and adults to enjoy. We also hope to have food vendors out in the Renegade Crossroads. There are several other things we hope to have, however nothing is set in stone yet.

Director Smith: Here [referring to a visual example] is a general outline of the setup for the night of the Halloween event; it does not include the Renegade Crossroads. The Panorama Grill will be closed off for the night, as caterers will be using the space. The Fireside Room will act as a dining room with 2 entrances/exits that can be accessed via haunted house or from outside. The courtyard will be open for the club booths and other games that'll be available during the night, the gates near the back of the CC, on the left and right side of the CC stage, will be permanently closed off.

Mr. Heldago: You may want to look into MSDS – Material safety data sheets – if you plan to have dry ice as your source for fog. If you are doing this in an outdoor area, I should be fine, but you should still look into that.

Director Smith: I will do that. Culinary Club, are you still able to provide sandwiches for the ball?

Culinary Club: Yes, all we need is an estimated guest count to make the appropriate number of sandwiches.

Director Garcia: Thanks to MECHA Club, they have informed me that the cafeteria itself will be able to hold around 815 people, so we have cut the estimated guest count down to 750 to make accommodations for the haunted house.

c. Section volunteer listing

Discussion:

Director Garcia: For this event, I am not requiring any club to volunteer to any specific area of the ball, clubs can either decide to set up booths, volunteer to help inside the cafeteria, or help in the courtyard outside. However, the haunted house is asking that at least 10 people volunteer as actors for the house, they will be providing costumes and make-up for the actors; the theater department may be a possibility, however I would like your input in the matter. The areas of need as of right now are the 10 actors for the haunted house, the ballroom, dining area, and the courtyard; I would like as many people in each section as possible.

MECHA Club: We would like to lend our people to helping the haunted house. However, I would first like to ask for the consent of the rest of the members of the club, so for our club's next meeting when all members are present I would like to ask them then.

Senator Salcido: I will be there with my club – Tutoring Club – and if no other areas of the event need assistance, then I will be sticking to my booth. But I will be available if the need should arise.

Manager Cervantes: I and my club – Fit Mind & Body Club – will be present at the event. We would like to help in the courtyard area, as well as have our own booth.

Student-at-Large Mireles: Like with MECHA, for the next Criminology club meeting I would like to ask the other members about the volunteer options and have them collectively decide where to help.

Japanese Culture: We would like to do the same and ask our members the same.

ASL Club: Our club will do the same and ask our members. Both of our main artist are willing to volunteer, but want to know if SGA will be providing the make-up and if they are working with the haunted house.

Director Smith: I will ask Dr. Damania, as for the area you will be working in, tell both artist that I would like them to work strictly with children.

Computer Science Club: our club will do the same and ask our members.

EOP&S Club: As will our club.

Culinary Club: As will our club.

Director Smith: All of this is perfectly acceptable. Also, since this is a nearly 5 hour event, I am allowing an 1 to 1 ½ hour breaks in between the festivities, this will be a stressful event for everyone involved and I want everyone to have time to enjoy themselves. And remember that for masks, you may only cover half of your face, either one-half vertically or horizontally. Participation in this event will help in your club's status for SOF Grants.

Senator Salcido: Volunteers will be able to enter the event free of charge, there will be food and drinks available throughout the day.

d. Budget overview and approval

Discussion:

Director Smith: Here is the unapproved budget, during this segment of the meeting we will be going through the budget together, we will be able to add or remove items if we see fit and once we are satisfied with the budget list, we will need to approve the items for purchase here today. As we are approving the items, we will add together the cost of all the items for the new budget cost. Among the items here we have colored paper rolls, ordered from Stinson's, a contracted DJ, wave lights and projectors, lights, dry ice for effects, candles, cobwebs, curtains and many other items. All of these items total to cost \$1,878.00, which meets our \$2, 500.00 budget. If anyone has any comments, questions or concerns please share now.

Computer Science Club: I know of refurbished projection system that will only cost \$69.00 at Home Depot. This could be utilized as a multipurpose tool for both the Halloween Ball and Christmas.

Manager Cervantes: Have we made any precautions for the event it should rain? I am only asking since it would affect the booths outside.

Director Garcia: We have not done so, I could invest in tarps or file a request for canopies for the ball.

ASL Club: I know there are no strobe lights on the list, we have lights we could lend to the ball.

Director Garcia: That is perfectly fine, you only need to file paperwork for liability.

Director Garcia sought a motion to approve the allocation of funds from the Student Organizations to the budget list for the Halloween Ball for the purchase of items.

Moved by Student at Large Mireles, Seconded by Senator Salcido

Roll Call Vote:

Manager Cervantes: Aye

Senator Salcido: Aye

Student at Large Mireles: Aye

Ayes: 3 Nays: 0

The Ayes have the majority, the motion passes.

e. Club volunteering

Discussion:

No further discussion was needed.

8. NEW BUSINESS

Items listed have not already been discussed once and thus are considered for approval by the Senate.

a. Vendors for the Renegade cross roads

Discussion:

Senator Cortez: Have you discussed the charge for vendors on the grounds during the ball yet? I believe \$40.00 to \$60.00 would suffice. Also, will the vendors be charging their regular set prices or will they be giving discounts to students in attendance?

Director Garcia: The price is set at \$50.00, but this would be a discussion to have at another time, but we will see that it is discussed. As for the vendors, they will be selling their food at their own prices.

Senator Salcido: At the Student Involvement Festival we had a number vendors who have come to BC in the past and had very reputable reputations. I believe these vendors would make a good starting point for contact.

MECHA Club: I believe extending an invitation to the companies we are contracting for the ball could benefit both parties.

Fit Mind & Body Club: Jamba Juice is willing to come to the event and will give back 20% of the profit it makes to the school. Another concern, will clubs be able to sell food if the vendors are present

Director Garcia: That all sounds wonderful, I will look into each of these. As for selling food, the club booth will be located in the courtyard and the vendors will be at the crossroads, we will look further into that.

Computer Science Club: Would it be possible to have the clubs give out candy and tell the community, as an alternative to trick-or-treating, they could bring their children to the event and collect candy from the club booths?

Director Garcia: Candy is an entire issue on its own, I believe we won't be handing out or buying candy because of this.

b. Public safety dress codes / Costume guidelines

Discussion:

Director Garcia: I have not yet heard back from Public Safety so we will go to a default dress code for the event: PG dress code with some skin being allowed to some, items and weapons are still being considered and will be confirmed once Public Safety contacts me.

c. Parking

No further discussion is needed.

d. Photo booth

Discussion:

Director Garcia: Funds have already been allocated for the green screen, other materials for the booth will hopefully be provided by Home Depot as donations thanks to our P.R Webb.

Computer Science Club: Do we have the software and digital arts knowledge to run the booth?

Director Garcia: We have people in production at the Office of Student Life who we can look to. They will be doing simple background drops, no photo shopping or photo manipulation of the body of any kind. We expect the photos to be delivered within a 2 to 3 week period.

e. Booth list and volunteering

Discussion:

Director Garcia: Would anyone like to volunteer for the photo booth at the event.

Senator Cortez: I would like to volunteer for the photo booth.

ASL Club: We will ask our members about this.

MECHA Club: As will we.

Computer Science Club: A suggestion, to keep the booth staffed at all times, rotating volunteers and clubs could help.

9. PUBLIC COMMENT

This segment of the meeting is reserved for persons desiring to address the Senate on any matter of concern that is not stated on the agenda. A time limit of three (3) minutes per speaker and fifteen (15) minutes per topic shall be observed. The law does not permit any action to be taken, nor extended discussion of any items not on the agenda. The Senate may briefly respond to statements made or questions posed, however, for further information, please contact the BCSGA Vice President for the item of discussion to be placed on a future agenda. (Brown Act §54954.3)

Senator Cortez: Will Collins Conference Center be in use?

Director Garcia: No. Both the conference center and the Panorama Grill will be closed.

10. ADJOURNMENT

In there being no further business, the meeting was adjourned at 5:58 p.m.